Monday, October 6, 2008



The Longest Trip Home, A Memoir


The fans of Marley & Me will be glad to know that John Grogan’s new memoir THE LONGEST TRIP HOME will be released at the end of this month.


This is an engaging, often hilarious, and always tender memoir of growing up in a strict Catholic household where one’s faith in the Magisterium was a given; after all who could possibly question the Chruch? A comfortable life for the four children, a mother "physically incapable of receiving Holy Communion without bursting into tears, a "can-do" father and a home, three doors from Our Lady of Refuge, in Harbor Hills Michigan where a single bushy marijuana plant thrived in the backyard vegetable garden. Author John Grogan begins his story with an unexpected phone call from his eighty-six year old father. His father’s news is coupled with a request, a request that his son isn’t sure he can grant. Underneath however, this is a book about coming to terms with conflicting choices, and what to do when a family begins to drift apart. This is a story that will resonate with its many readers. In the end, however, THE LONGEST TRIP HOME is a journey towards reconciliation. It will make you laugh and it will make you cry, but mostly it will make you want to reach out to those "you love the most…." Like any successful memoir this beautifully told book will be an inspiration for those who have their own story to tell. Most readers will see something of themselves in the pages of John Grogan’s newest offering. I know I did.








1 comment:

The Treadmill Tribune said...

Hi Patricia,

I didn't realize he was coming out with a new book. I loved Marley & Me (it's listed as one of my favorites), so I'll be sure to pick this up!

May Kuroiwa dropped me your name. I'm in the process of completing my memoir. Drop by my blog sometime!

Sincerely,
Jen Zeman